Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Back to Basics

This blog has hosted a great variety of thinking in its short history. Although this has been by far my least prolific year of writing for the 25 Year Plan, I have still managed to publish 55 (now 56) posts to this blog so far this year. The Plan’s lifetime total is more than 350 posts and untold thousands of words (the vast majority of which are my own), that reflect how I see the world and my place in it. Much has been reaction to that world (opinion), but there have also been numerous reflections (perspectives) and insights… thoughts about what drives me (purpose). Hence the subtext of what the 25 Year Plan is all about - “Perspectives, Purpose and Opinion.”

Recent posts have dealt with politics (one of my passions), revelations regarding distractions and personal interaction via social networks like My Space and an unplanned hiatus from blogging. All easily fall within the wide net that defines this blog. Perhaps more revealing to me is what has not appeared here. The inspiration to write profoundly has come and gone numerous times in the past several weeks. Experience confirms what I already know but often neglect to acknowledge in the moment: If I don’t strike when the iron is hot, the moment will pass. And the idea? Lost to the labyrinth of time past.

I am determined not to let another slip into the abyss. The urge has built up to critical mass and though I cannot recall with any specificity the insights from days past, the factors influencing them are omnipresent. The underlying pressures and pleasures, the victories and the defeats, the triumph and tragedy that are always more or less pronounced continue to drive the energy turned thought, and now thought transformed… finally released as words. They still feel inadequate; yet they hold promise to, with great care in their arrangement, reveal the wisdom of the ages. It is again just out of reach.

Meanwhile, real life continues. The struggles of post-graduate study are nothing like that of my undergraduate career - one that spanned, on and off, more than 25 years. I am (currently) hopeful that I will make it through my first semester thus earning me the confidence that I have what it takes. At the moment my eggs are all in this basket. In this economy, however, I am fortunate that they are not scrambled like so many others’ dreams have been. On the plus side, I am learning perhaps more than ever, faster than ever. The down side, of course, is the ebb and flow but never absent feeling of being overwhelmed. Comfort of late has come in discrete moments, not long periods of time.

Outside from school, life is good… and never dull. My eldest has informed me that I will be a grandfather in the coming months. I am told a wedding will be in the near future as well. Evidence of a modern day paradigm shift to be sure, but not nearly as profound as the situation regarding the Republican Vice Presidential nominee and her 17 year-old daughter. What? Oh yes, I know. We’re not supposed to talk about that lest we cast judgment. For the record, my eldest is 24 and his girlfriend is 27… draw your own conclusion. Mine is a mixture of apprehension and joy.

My younger sons are each voting for the first time this November. At 19 and 21, their first direct experience with democracy will be in a presidential election. I didn’t think they had any interest politics - and maybe they don’t, but they do appear to care about what is happening in our country and the world and they have a clear idea who they think can get us back on track. Color me surprised… and extremely proud.

There it is… not as profound as I wanted, more left unwritten than written. Words are often so inadequate. Perspectives, purpose and opinion… it’s all about life and this is mine today.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I follow politics like others do sports. It's like a contact sport these days, isn't it? Although they keep saying both sides are playing dirty, but I only ever see the one side.

Got my first G-Whiz Kid this year. He got his own blog category sidebar.

Good to drop in via Michele.

Ellen said...

When life is good... it's really really good, eh? I think your 25-year plan is working well in your favor, as evidenced by your post. It couldn't come to a more deserving person. Many congrats about your impending grandchild... babies are the hope of the future for sure.

As for the political posts... I can't get enough of them. They are so worthy of the Huffington Post or New Yorker, and I can't devour them fast enough.

Take care, and keep up the great work~

carmilevy said...

I beg to differ: it's every bit as profound as you had wished. It's life, real as it gets. Congratulations on impending grandpahood. As with everything else you do, I know you'll wear it well!

kenju said...

As Carmi said, congratulations on soon becoming a grandparent. I can vouch for how wonderful that is!

VV said...

Life is full. Take a deep breath and remember to be thankful.

David Edward said...

congrats on the new squeeze and on the grandchild to be.
peace to you and yours

flleenie said...

Congrats on becoming a Grandpa. Grandchildren are awesome. I should know, cause I have two granddaughters, and they rock!

Kudos to your children for registering to vote!!! I honestly believe that if you don't vote then you don't have the right to bitch about what happens in this country!

You have a lady? GO MR. A!!!

mckay said...

you know i'm your biggest cheerleader, you've just never seen me in the outfit.

go get 'em tiger....er, grandpa.


mck.

awareness said...

Mike.......it's been a while since I caught up with you.....and it looks like life is very good.

love and passion abounds! For future grandpas too!

your post left me smiling.......and feeling like all is right in some parts of the world. it's a good thing.

Snaggle Tooth said...

Being a grandparent is great! You'll like it, really-
A little age difference is nothing when compared to compatability!
Palin a heartbeat away- I hope not!
Looks like living's good for you despite the ailing economy-
Keep up the enthusiam!
(I could use more-)

Anonymous said...

Well, I will be one that can say I did not vote for Obama when all comes crashing down. He has no experience to speak of, has been in the Senate for 2 years of which 95% of that time he has spent campaigning. He votes "present" 95% of the time because he has no backbone to make a decision. This way he cannot be called upon later on to defend his vote. Voting "present" means absolutely nothing.

Michael K. Althouse said...

Mr. (or is it Mrs?) Anonymous,

It is interesting that you chose this post to regale me with your juvenile political rhetoric. Actually, the term rhetoric is much too generous... let's just call it what it is - dribble. Although I have written much about this presidential race and the candidates in it, this post only threw a glancing blow to the Republican vice presidential nominee regarding a particularly glaring inconsistency between her ideology and her circumstances.

I won't again repeat what has already been said save this: Palin might be qualified to govern over a few hundred thousand Alaskans, but is abjectly unqualified to be a heartbeat away from being the leader of the free world. End of story.

I will leave you with a final question, however: Can you say you are one who did vote for this current president? You do realize that it is all coming crashing down... right here and right now.

Finally, I usually just delete anonymous comments with no intelligence to speak of, but in your case I have made an exception. Now, tell me again about that "backbone"...