Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Forecast Calls For...

Our unseasonable warm weather here in Northern California has come to an end and the winter chill is back. Although it never gets really “cold” here, for those accustomed to the balmy California climate, this is winter. It’s supposed to rain again later today and tomorrow and with it will come another dumping of snow in the Sierras. Although nobody’s panicking yet, it has been a very dry year thus far; we need the precipitation.

Life, like the weather, is unpredictable. And I can never fully prepare for everything that might come my way. I can, however, be prepared for the occasional storm that is always lurking on the horizon. Relatively minor and always temporary squalls will come and go and I am perpetually prepared - I always have an umbrella in my trunk and firewood at home, ready to burn. Indeed, it seems the more travails that I survive, the more naturally prepared I become.

For the immediate future, calm weather and mild temperatures are in my metaphorical forecast. There are only the day-to-day chores, appointments and assignments to be kept. All of my deadlines have been met and none are looming for at least a few days. The extended outlook is, of course, always unpredictable. I am ready, however, to weather whatever storm life may have in store for me. Experience tells me so - Sping is just around the corner.

7 comments:

kenju said...

It would seem so. We got up to 73* here today, and yesterday was 66*. I am sooooo looking forward to warmer weather, even though we have had only about 2 weeks of wintry weather. We can get through anything, but I'd much rather have nice stuff to crawl through....LOL

Ash said...

"Life, like the weather, is unpredictable"

Well-said!

Anonymous said...

i can't wait for spring/summer...i love it. winter bums me out

Snaggle Tooth said...

"Be prepared" was the Girl Scout motto... I was one for 10 years, all the way from Brownie to Senior, with my Mom the Leader.
I'm prepared for the enexpected, but it often interferes with timing. I hate not having my truck supplies, n love it when stuff I have in there can be innovatively used in a pinch.
I never go anywhere without a rope, compass ect.
Why is it the terrible things are easy to be ready for, n the happy stuff is more difficult?

Shephard said...

A metaphorical spring is generally always around the corner. I tend to think that way as well. Ride anything out long enough, and you'll be through to the other side.

Michele says hello!
~S

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Michele sent me tonight, Mike....The weather has really given my back a bad bad time....It's HOT, it's COLD. it's RAINY, it's God Knows What!!! Every day something different, here in Southern California....Not unlike where you are, but maybe the HOT is Hotter! (lol)...
I'm ready for it to settle down into a few days of one thing---and so is my back!

carmilevy said...

Metaphorically speaking, my life's kinda stormy right now. Something tells me I wouldn't want it any other way.

Looks like it's my fate to follow you home from Michele's this weekend, Mike. Sorry :)