Thursday, January 11, 2007

Priorities and Privileges

One of my unwritten, unspoken goals for this New Year was to try to post something here daily. It was not set in stone, just an internal push to keep me writing. So much for unwritten, unspoken goals. Conveniently enough, since it did not take the form of a “resolution” or any other concrete affirmation, I need not feel as though I have failed anyone – and I don’t.

I have spent much of the last four days resting. I went on a short road trip over the weekend with a friend of mine who was suffering from this nasty little cold that’s been going around. Indeed, it seems as though virtually everyone has either had it already or is going through it. Often, when the cold season comes around, I take the opportunity to say to whomever, “I never get sick.” And for a number of years, it has been true. Until…

That’s right, the universally humbling karmic forces hunted me down to afflict me with this nasty little cold, thus nullifying my claim. And I thought I had learned to never say never. In all honesty, it has not been “stay home from work” sick, but since I’m currently working freelance, that’s exactly what I did – for the most part. I still had errands to run and other responsibilities that needed tending to, but intertwined with the very limited number of tasks I had to do was a substantial amount of time where I didn’t have to do anything – and nothing is what I did.

Although this illness was far from debilitating, it was in a voluntary way. In other words, things that are priorities for me – those that contribute to my sense of accomplishment and make me feel like a participant rather than a bystander – fall by the wayside in the name of comfort. Or at least in the mitigation of discomfort. It was relatively easy for me to put off things like cleaning my office (it’s reaching critical mass once again), laundry, making my bed… and blogging. The rationalization I used was tried and true – “I feel icky.”

But after so many days of putting some things off, I have found that the combination of feeling better and neglecting some of the chores I am privileged enough to have (that’s right… I get to do the laundry, lest I forget…), I am again motivated to get back into action. The post I wrote Sunday was about getting busy even when there was nothing that had to be done. Perhaps that post was a karmic red flag. Although I knew I had a little scratch in my throat - that was historically the extent of my illness. This time, not so much.

I managed to write on Monday and Tuesday, because even in the world of “chores” – privilege or no – some I enjoy more than others. Yesterday and much of today, however, I guess the virus was in its death throws, giving me everything it had before it passed on – leaving nothing but antibodies. Although I have managed to drag my butt to the keyboard to read and comment on a few blogs, I let yesterday go – I had nothing. I was just not feeling it. There was no energy there.

Hopefully tonight, I’ll get a solid night’s sleep and tomorrow I’ll be back to my old self. I have a lunch date with my former editor that should result in a story or two. I’ll make a few bucks and keep my clips current. Perhaps there will be space for an Op-Ed. I absolutely love breaking free from objectivity! And there will be time to clean my office, make my bed, do some laundry and get some house cleaning done as well. It's good to be back!

23 comments:

canwag said...

I rarely get colds (to which I credit massive amounts of vitamin C) but nonetheless got my flu shot very early this year, so of course I ended up getting the seasonal crud anyway. It started as yours did, with a sore throat. I was totally miserable for a couple of days, and am still suffering from congestion now, almost two weeks later. I hope yours goes away a little sooner.

Catherine said...

Hope you are feeling great soon! Michele sent me.

Anonymous said...

Hi again, thanks for commenting on my blog last night, I completly understand how that karma can get you, unfortunately I found out with poison ivy! For my whole life until I was 29 I could walk through it unscathed, then I caught my ankle in a runner of it & got some of the poison in a cut & it's been all over since then.
Glad you liked the change in my blog, it was complete, new url & all.

Unknown said...

Good to have you back!

chrysalis said...

Funny, I've been in a similar sniffly/sucky/laziesque cycle that has left me raring to get back to my life.

Hope your cold goes soon!

Hi from Michele's.

P.S. I've added you to my blogroll!

utenzi said...

Michele sent me over to say Hi, Mr Althouse.

I've only had a few bad colds in my life but I've had many where the only symptom was a few muscle aches and a couple of extra trips to the bathroom for a couple of days. I guess that translates to a slight fever.

Get well soon, Mike!

Karen said...

I too rarely get sick, but I think I'm going to get hit this year. Hopefully not, but I guess I'll just have to deal, right? Hope you feel better and enjoy your blog break. It's good for the soul!

Michele sent me!

Bobkat said...

I hate colds. They always are miserable to endure and drain your energy. I always feel like being sick is a waste of my time on this planet.

Hope you feel better soon. Michele sent me to say Hi.

Jennifer said...

Sorry you've been sick! I hope you'll improve quickly :) It's nice to "meet" ya...I'm here from Michele's, but your blog looks right up my alley, so I'll Blogline ya and come visit again :) I am also a lte bloomer...just started back to college last fall, at 35 years old...trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up :) Have a great weekend..

A Army Of (Cl)One said...

Hello from Michele.

I had that same nasty cold in december, though it took me and a office mate 4 weeks to get over it.

Good to see you are back on your feet and ready to tacle att Sacramento has to offer. (I work here in Sacto)

Feel better

Anna said...

Get that good nights sleep for sure! Sounds like you have lots to do tomorrow. I try to take one room at a time...not thinking about the big picture. If I think about how much I need to do...I end up going back to bed because I am overwhelmed.

You actually sounded better by the time you finishes your post. I think this bloggin thing is therapuetic!

awareness said...

hi Mike.

hope you've kicked the worst of it out of your system.......it's a nasty one, if it's anything like the one gallavanting through my area......

Judy said...

Hi... I'm visiting from Michele's, but hope to stop back in and visit you again. I'm glad to have "found" you and hope you start feeling better soon.

Catherine said...

Michele sent me back again

Snaggle Tooth said...

That's strange, cause I wrote about my cold, too! It had the nothing done effect on me, too.

Hope you're feeling better tomorrow (n me too)!

Ellen said...

No cold here (knock on wood)...

Sorry to hear about yours, and it seems to be a trend with this time of year. Drink massive amounts of green tea, my friend.... as it is loaded with Vitamin C.

And sometimes "just feeling icky" is enough a reason to put things aside for awhile. Actually, it's the best (and most often used) excuse in the world. After all, everyone knows "ick".

Here's hoping you have a speedy recovery before your few chores become a mountain to deal with!

carmilevy said...

Glad to hear you're on the happy side of your cold. I couldn't agree more about the virtues of writing op-ed. Opinion is a heck of a lot more fun to write than staid, straight-laced news. I leave a lot more of myself on the page when I'm writing a column.

Unfortunately, I live in a city whose newspaper no longer HAS an op-ed page. Time to move. Or start my own online rantfest.

Hey...

Anonymous said...

Carmi...you go boy!
Michael hope your immune system is jazzed up and kickin' even as I type this comment. Get feeling better soon bud.

Unknown said...

Welcome back sir ;)

Glad your feeling better ;)

Here Via Michele ;)

scrappintwinmom said...

Here via Michele - hope you're back to normal soon!

Unknown said...

You spoke to soon not wanting to Lurk but Michele's not with me Type pad is down ;(


Ahhh no Michele ;(

Pat said...

Hi! Here from Michelle's. I think it's best, IMO, to post when you feel like it - within reason. I try to do three posts a week but have some days when I just have to get something down. Get well soon.

Lee Ann said...

I used to post EVERY day for a long time. Then I posted every day except Saturday and Sunday. Now I am trying to post every day during the week, but it has slowed down. I think I am going in reverse to you.
Hope you are feeling better!