Saturday, January 13, 2007

Home Field Advantage

I have come to the conclusion that in Texas Hold ‘em, there is no home field advantage. A rotating but regular group of my friends and I get together every few weeks or so to engage in this friendly little game of chance. The game moves from home to home without any regular schedule or destination, however, like the Superdome for the Super Bowl, my house is one of the better suited for the game. It comes here often and it landed here last night.

Of the several times I have hosted the event, I think I have only come out ahead once – and it wasn’t last night. We’re not talking about huge sums of money here. No one will win or lose their rent – not even close. It’s about bragging rights and fellowship as even the “losers,” such as I was last night, thoroughly enjoy themselves. I lost $20. Having said that and all things being equal, it’s always more fun to win.

Luck is a fickle thing. I thought my pocket aces with an ace on the flop was a pretty good hand. It was probably one of the best hands I had all night. It was not, however, as good as the flush that beat me. That one cost me. I had some early success – not usually a good sign – as well as a late comeback, but in the end the cards just didn’t come for me. Maybe next time, for it’s not as though I always lose… it just seems as though the poker gods do not smile upon me in my home court.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is an interesting article in the New York Times today about the evolutionary adaptation of eye whites in humans. Chimps don't have much white to their eyes. You can't tell exactly what they were looking at. Now: Were you wearing sunglasses while playing cards? The article suggests that you should have been. Were you playing with chimps? What were they wearing?~,:^)

Anonymous said...

The kids in my neighborhood (well, actually they're all adults now) play PIT. I don't know what it is but involves cards and A LOT of yelling. I'll have to go google that and Texas Hold'em.

Catherine said...

Reading your post made that Kenny Rogers song pop up in my head - without all the words "You've got to know when to hold 'em" is about all I can remember.

500 is the most popular game around this house, also something called "Nominations" where you have to say exactly how many tricks you are going to win.

Michele sent me

Unknown said...

My husband and I play in a couple of local tournaments was well as with a bunch of friends. When playing with friends, we always play at the same house and it offers NO advantange for the owner of said house. Most of the time, he is the first one out and has even gone out on the first hand once! We play tournament style. $10.00 per round and pay off to the top 2 or 3 depending on the number of players. It's always a great night!

As they say, Texas Hold 'Em takes minutes to learn and a lifetime to master!

Anonymous said...

I'm Here from Micheles again this evening, or afternoon, in your case since you're in California.
I remember my father teaching my brother & I to play poker, he said it was something everyone should know how to do. He had a nice set of chips in a leather & wood carrying case which I inherited, yesterday while cleaning my son's room I was rearranging all the games on the shelf in his closet & my son asked me what the poker chip case was, I found myself quoting my father on poker, 7 may be a little too young to learn it though.

Anonymous said...

My family (minus me) plays about once or twice a month. Its a big deal and they play for big bucks for hours and hours. I think there is a lot of skill involved but when it comes down to it...it doesn't matter how well you play, its all the luck of the draw.

Anonymous said...

I think I can make you feel better about things -- home field or not, I stink at Texas Hold 'Em...and any other poker games!

Here from Michele's!

carmilevy said...

I played Texas Hold Em for the first time in my life last year. It was a friendly game with colleagues. They were very patient. I lost more than I won - but we were playing for honor and nothing else.

I think any aspirations of poker greatness evaporated that night. Cards just don't seem to like me :)

Anonymous said...

Me again -- glad it worked out that I got sent back here from Michele's -- I've been meaning to poke around a bit more.

Prego said...

I wish I could see the appeal of poker. The one time I tried it, I just didn't get it. Basically, I'd be just as well throwing all my chump change on the table, and then drinking a beer on my friend's couch. Do you have a comfortable one?

Anonymous said...

Mike your comment about your early success being a bad sign struck a cord with me. Back in my teens I used to play basketball (I never was particularly good - I just enjoyed the sport). I found that if I was shooting good in the pregame warm up I would struggle scoring in the game. A pitiful warm up usually meant a healthy scoring game.
What do you suppose the creates this? A self-induced "psyche"?

Snaggle Tooth said...

"... the poker gods do not smile upon me in my home court."

please add on mentally "YET" !

Cristin B said...

Having not thoroughly researched you, I initially thought you might say something funny about Texas being "home field". I live in Texas, y'know. But I don't play poker :( That luck/gambling thing, though. I do that sometimes, and I can say with authority that Fickle is a gentle descriptor for the Lady.

Oh, and ...
Hello, Michele sent me. :)