Friday, January 05, 2007

Blogging Meme

I don't usually do "memes" and never do tags. However, once in a while, a meme that grabs my attention is posted in one of my friend's blogs. The following "Blog Meme" was posted over at "Here in the Hills." It looked interesting, so here is my version.

1-Do you like the look and the contents of your blog?


The look of my blog is pretty simple. It’s just a standard template from Blogger with a custom header created just for me by Bohica. Eventually, I’d like to get a truly custom and unique layout… and my own domain name as well, but that will not happen right away.

As for the contents, well, I’m happy with about 85 to 90 percent of what I’ve written and perhaps a little bit higher percentage of the photos I’ve taken. It all depends on when I’m asked!

2-Does your family know about your blog?

Yes, and I know my parents are among my most loyal readers. Other family and extended family members read it as well – my sister even left a comment recently. My kids, however, only frequent this site when I direct their attention here. Although they are online regularly and often, their pursuits do not include reading my musings. Besides, they get the live version of me on demand.

One of the benefits of recording my thoughts here is that I will have left them with something more than my “stuff” when I leave this planet. They don’t have to read it now; it’ll be there when they’re ready to.

3-Can you tell your friends about your blog?

Yes, the URL is on my “freelance” business card. Some read it, others don’t. Believe it or not, I have more than a couple of friends that do not own a computer, do not use the Internet and don’t want to learn. Crazy, I know!

4-Do you just read the blogs of those who comment on your blog?
No, I read many blogs and some have, to the best of my knowledge, never even visited my blog, let alone commented on it. However, if there is a blog or another website that I can go to through a comment, I always do and almost always leave a comment in return, even if it’s just to thank the blogger for stopping by.

5-Did your blog positively affect your mind?

Blogging has been a proven to be positive influence in many areas of my life – my mind incuded.

6-What does the number of visitors to your blog mean?

Only that there are a number of people that think what I have to say is worth a few minutes of their time. I’ve said this before and it’s still true: I write for a number of reasons, one of them is to be read. For someone to stop what he or she is doing to read what I’ve written is the ultimate gift. I very much appreciate it.

7-Did you imagine how other bloggers look like?

Sometimes. Often there is a photo in their profile or post – I don’t have to guess. The ones I wonder about the most are those that have a caricature or some other abstract representation of themselves.

8-Do you think blogging has any real benefit?

Absolutely – and apparently so does Time magazine. The benefits are realized on so many different levels… Political, personal, economic, spiritual, the list goes on and on. There are, of course, detractors and they too have some valid concerns, but blogging is here to stay and the benefits far outweigh any problems.

9-Do you think that the blogesphere is a stand alone community separated from the real world?

No, it has become an integral part of the global community. In fact, it is more than a part of the global community, it is now part of the world’s communications infrastucture. I get visitors and readers from all over the world – a feat I could never have accomplished without blogging. ‘Nuff said.

10-Do some political blogs scare you?

No, but I tend to stay away from the extremists. I don’t have time for thoughtless, myopic rhetoric – there is far better political material to read.

11-Do you think that criticizing your blog is useful?

Criticism from others or myself? I will always be critical of my own output, especially when it comes to writing. Although the feedback I’ve received through comments is overwhelmingly positive, I have had a few who disagreed with what I had to say. For the most part, these were written respectfully and not delivered as personal attacks. That kind of criticism is appreciated. However, if one wishes to engage in a verbal war, well, I can do that too.

12-Have you ever thought about what would happen to your blog in case you died?

No, hopefully my family will keep it alive in some form or another, even if it’s just for them.

13-Which blogger had the greatest impression on you?

I can’t answer that. I read a number of very different, very distinct blogs and all have had an impression on me – I wouldn’t return to them if they didn’t.

14-Which blogger do you think is the most similar to you?

Again, I can’t answer that. There are far too many facets to writing style, content and other inter-personal characteristics I share with other bloggers – some compliment my own personality while others contrast it.

15-Name a song you want to listen to?

Veteran of the Psychic Wars (Blue Oyster Cult)

36 comments:

chrysalis said...

Good Morning from Michele's!

Not a bad meme - I'll post it on my site too. It certainly solves the problem of my overcoming my ranters block.

Anna said...

This is my first time to your site. I liked your post a lot. I am so new to blogger that I didn't know what it was the "meme" was when I first saw it. I might have to use it sometime!

utenzi said...

Michele sent me over again, Mr Althouse. Hi!

That's a good meme for blogs. I love Naomi's site and I'll have to go over there and visit to see what her answers are. I might do it myself though, like you, I generally avoid memes.

Bobkat said...

I saw this at 'Here in the Hills' and like Naomi you have some great answers. Did you know that blogging is predicted to be the the 'big' thing in 2007?

Here to say hi from Michele's.

Anonymous said...

Here from Micheles,
Very interesting Meme,
you said about your kids: 'Besides, they get the live version of me on demand.' ....lol, I think my kids wish I had an off button sometimes!

Unknown said...

Great blog! Loved the line: Besides, they get the live version of me on demand.
Very funny!!

Thanks for stopping by my site. Good luck staying smoke-free. I have a big test on Sunday. It's a weekly poker game with 40 people and about 30 of them smoke!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Wonderful Mike...It is always intewresting to read what other people have said in a particular meme...I liked your answers a lot and feel pretty similar to you, as you know. And thanks for the "heads up", my dear.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

They were really good answers; some of them I would use as well, especially in the ones about what blogging does to thw world's community.

Michele sent me here.

Anonymous said...

re: #12 - I'd like my friends to keep my blog going, talk about memories they have of me, etc.

oh, and hi, Michele sent me!

Anonymous said...

Hmm. That IS an interesting meme. Thought - provoking! It was interesting to see your answers - I'll have to go and see what was written at the Hills. (and maybe do it myself!)

Hello from Michele's!

Anonymous said...

I dont usually do memes as well unless they are interesting for both me and my readers. Here from Michele and Happy New Year to you!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL, LOL, LOL...Michele sent me back to you again today...Do you feel like Deja Vu? I do! (HA!)
Still like your answers Mike...Like you, I don't usually do Meme's, but recently I have seen a couple that I wanted to do---this was one of thewm. I'm still working on the second one and it led to a whole long post which I haven'e finished yet...Funny how certain things can spark other memories you did not expect...!

Anonymous said...

Very good answers, Mike. I enjoyed reading this.
This sure seems to be the "meme of the day" as yours is the third one I've read so far today....lol

Anonymous said...

Very interesting 'place' you have here...glad I found you via Michele! Thanks for the visit!

Bobkat said...

Back again from Michele's.

Just reread your meme adn I agree - blogging is beneficial on so many levels. You get to learn so much about people from visiting them, their society, culture, experiences and knowledge.

sage said...

Interesting meme. I've been impressed with your blog the few times I've been here. Here from Michele's

Anonymous said...

ok
i just read through all of that, and what in the sam hill did that last question have to do with any thing?

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Deja vu time...good answers. Michele sent me back again.

CyberKitten said...

Nice one Mike.

I'm glad that Aginoth (my Blog Sire) 'badgered' me into this Blogging lark... Not only is it fun & informative... but I've 'met' some really nice people online that I would never have met otherwise. That alone is worth the 'price' of admission.

kenju said...

I am constantly amazed at how much blogging has changed things for me, and I am so glad to have the ability to do it. I enjoyed reading your meme, Mike. Michele sent me.

Carli N. Wendell said...

If you go by my picture, I'm a sleeping kitty. And that's fine. Sometimes I would like to be a sleeping kitty.
Nice post. I like that you don't visit your own blog. I sometimes wish I could just put the words out there and leave it be.

Jessica said...

Hello! Michele sent me... And I was going to come by to thank you for stopping by my place, so it was fate!
Happy Weekend!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I must be like a boomerang; Michele keeps sending me back!

Goofy Girl said...

This was a fun entry to read since i've never visited you before! I think blogging is great, it's fun and it lets you get out things you might not normally.

I read your descript of yourself and I hope you've found the path you've always wanted. :)

Helene said...

I bet if you told your kids about your dating 20 year olds and writing about it they might have a look! hehehehe ok maybe not... no one ever wants to imagine their parents like that! heehhehee



I like this meme idea and may have a go at it myself sometime soon if you dont mind!

Anonymous said...

As usual a very interesting blog. I truly enjoy visiting your site.

Prego said...

Pretty good q & a.

I'm one of those 'caricature' bloggers. Though I'm fully aware that complete anonymity is impossible, I do like to separate my professional persona from the 'artistic' one.

As for what happens to my blog when I die? I'd hope my wife prints out its contents and gives a copy to each of the boys. It might give them a glimpse of their old man.

Always a pleasure, A.

Here via Michele.

(PS. I have plans to go see B.Ö.C. next weekend. I might yell out the request for you right before I yell "Whooooo!" though I'm more partial to "Morning Final" or "E.T.I.")

rashbre said...

An interesting meme and a thoughtful view about blogging. In my case I started as something of a social experiement and found that now around 20 moths in, there is quite a lot of reflection buried in amongst the blippy little posts.

Its also surprising, considering that I don't post about work or much about detaiuled personal moments, that the blog still has a context for me the remember many things that have occured. if anything, its also added a level of memory that re-inforces just how much can take place in the course of year.

I've not visited here before, but will take a look around and hey - Michele sent me!

rashbre

Unknown said...

Hey Mr Althouse,

Thanks for the comment

Enjoyed the Meme as well ;)

Unknown said...

I know I'm back....

I'm not spam commenting honestly I'm not here via Michele's this time ;)

kenju said...

I am back again, via Michele. I have not done this meme (I don't do many of them), but I like your answers and most are similar to what mine would be.

BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Actually a great MEME, and very informative too!

Many people I know read my blog!

Biff Spiffy said...

Howdy, and thanks for stopping by. We seem to shop at the same stores for sure.

Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Name a song you want to listen to? How did that get thrown in?

I would like more of my friends and family members to read my blog because then I would have to repeat myself in telling them what's new. A few do.

One son reads occasionally (when I talk about him, which is a lot. He has his own catergory sidebar. The other never does.

Lady Prism said...

( take two..take two...tried posting a comment awhile ago..swooshed away..)

I was just recalling my bloggy' mem'ries of yesterday...( three years and several deleted blogs ago..) of lurid thoughts posted (LOL!!) of cranium innards laid bare ...of poetic longings brandished without reservation..thinking I was alone...writing..reading...then out of the monitor's behind creeps out someone...whispering that he had been reading for months and months and months....he!he!he!...I could still see me...reading that very first comment...just sitting there in my swivel chair...in disbelief...total knockout sensation of trying to take in the fact that someone actually read about my cheesecake recipe...and he wanted mooore!...aw gawd!..hee!hee!hee!...LOL!....

( can't stop giggling recalling this....:))

I've had the most fun with this bloggy'thing...and no..my husband still doesn't totally dig that I do this..he tolerates me..and points out my lack of editing..

as for the kids...I once demanded that they read a whole post...gawd..the pained look in their faces said it all..MySpace rules!..

I can't coherently putinto words how my blog life has turned me into a better person..more accepting of me..of others...How it has helped me became more courageous as I read about other people...How it has made me wiser...

I think...I just might blog simply forever...

hmmmm....

carmilevy said...

BOC...classic stuff, Mike. I often wonder what became of them.

Do you know?